Monday, March 14, 2011

A summer day in Halifax

With summer quickly approaching, I want to share some things I would normally do on a daily basis in Halifax. On a clear sunny day, I usually like to get up and start my day off with some form of exercise. An easy way to achieve this is to go for a walk, but to keep it interesting, I typically like to head out to the ocean. It takes around 20 minutes to drive to a coastal point from the city. My favourite spot to go is called Chebucto Head. This short drive makes you feel like you have really escaped the city, and on a clear day you can watch boats come in and out of the harbour. Sometimes one can even spot seals or if really lucky, a whale. After about a 30 minute hike I am ready for a swim. Although the ocean is great, it really is too cold for swimming most days of the summer. Around the city there are many lakes to go for a quick dip; most of them within 20 minutes from my house, which makes it vey convenient. 

For dinner it only makes sense to have seafood, but primarily lobster, based on the freshness, quality and price. You would be foolish to eat chicken. Picking up product from either the grocery store or fishermen you will experience good prices and quality. Having people over for dinner, or what I like to call a good old fashion kitchen party is a great way to kick off the evening. After dinner, the waterfront or the bar scene are places where most people tend to migrate to.

Although this is not a daily routine in the summer time, it definitely is typical to experience activities like these numerous times throughout the summer. If you're looking for a good time, I suggest visiting Halifax in the summer. You won't be disappointed. The food, atmosphere and scene is great, but most of all the people and culture is something that will be remembered.     

8 comments:

  1. I would like to live close to the ocean and see its sunset. Where I am originally from ( Bogota, Colombia)we don't have ocean. The closest beach is like around 15 hrs driving and we went just like once a year. In the fure, I will buy my house in the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna this post is awesome. I am so unbelievably jealous that you grew up there. You did a great job writing this, I really enjoyed reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna,
    This post makes me want to jump on a plane and head to Halifax right now. Well, if not today, then definitely in the summer. What an amazing way to spend a summer's day. I'm officially jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, reading this post made me long for summer. You are so lucky to live near the ocean, walking along it must be such a nice way to start the day. Seafood for dinner also seems like the perfect way to end a day. I hope one day I can travel to Halifax and experience its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous that you get to live near the ocean. I would love to spend my summer days the way you just described, it sounds amazing.
    I hope that I'll be able to visit Halifax one day. If I do, you'll have to show me around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna, I've never been to Halifax but your posts are making me think I should be making a trip there soon. I actually haven't seen that much of Canada, especially outside of Ontario so thank you for giving me some insight! awesome blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been to Halifax, but I have heard from so many people that it is a great place to visit and live. It isn't uncommon for people in my high school to go to Dalhousie, so I am used to hearing all about it from my high school friends. All of your testimonies make me want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does writing this blog make you a bit homesick? I've never been to Halifax but based on your posts and what I've heard from other people, it's a lovely place. This post especially made me want to go - I'm tired of winter and ready for summer!

    ReplyDelete